Friday, January 6, 2012

Electric Fields Lecture

Today we looked at electric fields from point charges, line charges, surface charges, and volume charges. We tried one problem involving a line charge, but many students saw it before in a physics lecture. I suppose that is ok, since this is only the second lecture. Let me know though if there is too much repeated material.

So far I am leaning toward a class intelligence that is not near a sack of potatoes.

The question to ask yourselves: is it better to remain silent and be thought a fool, or speak out and remove all doubt? (Little Friday night joke there for all of you studying ELEC 3105, as I know you all are, right?!)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Professor,
    You could have a look at the course outline for Phys 1002 last winter: http://vali.physics.carleton.ca/courses/documents/PHYS1002.pdf
    though most engineers have to take a different one - 1005 or something. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is useful, thank you. I looked at the PDF, and definitely there is a lot of overlap for the first part of both courses. I will adjust my course accordingly (by making it harder, of course! ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phys1002 is tailored specifically towards Eng.Physics and Bsc Physics students and so is tougher than 1004 or 1008 - what most students go through. My point is, please don't adjust the course based on 1002 aka give classmates I don't know a reason to curse me ;)
    Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, the can of worms has been opened......too late now!

    Don't worry, my confusion meter works ok and I will adjust the course as we go.

    ReplyDelete